05 Oct Advisor – Advancing Net Zero
Advisor: Advancing Net Zero
Lewis Davey are seeking an experienced and passionate advisor with practical knowledge of low carbon real estate, green building certification tools, ESG investment, and/or real estate financing or asset management, strong communication and stakeholder engagement skills, and a passion for sustainability in the built environment.
This role is ideal for an experienced built environment professional seeking to diversify their skillset and extend their network across the breadth of the built environment industry. Industry-facing roles offer the opportunity to rapidly develop in a range of areas, including project management, stakeholder engagement, communication, practical focused multi-disciplinary research, and knowledge sharing. By already being - or developing your existing experience to becoming - a subject matter expert, the successful candidate will help shape the content of nationally applicable outputs while developing broad insight and knowledge through working across the entire built environment value chain.
This position offers a fantastic opportunity to play a leading role in contributing significantly to the building sectors’ net zero transition, and to gain valuable experience working with leading businesses and other stakeholders, as well as within a passionate, knowledgeable, and growing team of colleagues.
All team members are also actively supported in their own ongoing learning and personal development. The whole team is brought together on a regular basis in order to foster a connected, diverse, and highly engaged culture that benefits the individuals and the organisation as a whole.
Our client is growing fast in profile, size, and impact, and our increasingly agile approach to working enables us to be an inclusive, flexible, diverse, and caring employer. They are a purpose-driven, dynamic, and ambitious charity made up of a team who are all passionate about working together for a better-built environment.
An industry-led network with a mission to radically improve the sustainability of the built environment with over 650 member organisations spanning the entire value chain, they represent the voice of the industry’s current and future leaders who are striving for transformational change.
They collaborate to advocate, enable and inspire accelerated leadership and action, primarily by business and government, on climate change, resource use, nature & biodiversity, health & wellbeing and socio-economic impact. They also engage our members in advocating a progressive message to the government, informing and influencing policy at national and local levels.
Job title: Advisor: Advancing Net Zero
Job purpose: Lead and manage research and engagement to develop and implement key industry outputs under the Advancing Net Zero programme.
Line Manager: Head of Climate Action
Length of contract: Permanent
- Be the organisation's subject matter expert in ESG investment, and/or real estate financing or asset management-related topics including carbon pricing and offsetting, the financing and valuing of Net Zero Carbon Buildings, data collation management and reporting etc.
- Upskill the wider team by drawing upon previous experience on relevant topics and capabilities – e.g. construction, managing operation buildings, investment appraisals, constructing a business case, running collaborative projects etc.
- Lead the delivery of industry guidance related to net zero carbon buildings and assets through engagement with relevant professional institutions, industry bodies, commercial organisations and charity members and other groups as required
- Carry out stakeholder engagement that accounts for the diverse viewpoints of stakeholders (industry/charity membership, professional, trade and NGO groups, and local and national government etc) using methods including facilitation of workshops and small working groups, one-to-one meetings, surveys, email, and good contacts management (including use of Salesforce)
- Support work to deliver guidance and engagement activities related to performance targets, the verification of net zero carbon buildings, the circular economy etc.
- Key account management duties for selected Gold Leaf members to ensure that they are deriving significant value from engaging with the charity.
- Write content for and deliver high-quality reports and outputs that account for the diverse viewpoints of stakeholders
- Present and support advocacy on the Advancing Net Zero programme at external events and meetings
- Support the recruitment and reporting processes with partners, funders and other supporters
- Liaise with WorldGBC and other national GBCs involved in the global Advancing Net Zero campaign
- Work with colleagues on other aspects of the Advancing Net Zero programme as required
- Create and develop new content ideas or initiatives
DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY
- Project management
- Internal and external stakeholder engagement
- Networking activities
- Strategic decisions in relation to programme
- Resource allocation
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Strong communication skills both verbal and written, including presentational skills
- Relationship-building & interpersonal skills
- Ability to translate - often complex - sustainability issues into clear narratives
- Ability to juggle multiple projects/activities and maintain tight deadlines, organisational skills and excellent attention to detail
- Analytical & research skills (qualitative and quantitative)
- Confident and self-motivated, with good use of initiative
- High level of competence in using standard software packages (MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Adobe Acrobat etc)
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team
- Demonstrate agility and flexibility to perform duties that may be outside core accountabilities
- Business proficient in English; both spoken and written
- Ability to think creatively to solve problems and deliver a positive impact
- Facilitating discussion of diverse viewpoints, and brokering agreements
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Substantial experience working in sustainability within the built environment
- 2-3 years working experience within an ESG investment, and/or real estate financing or asset management role
- Knowledge of the technical aspects of carbon reduction policy & practice
- Experience with global building sustainability rating tools and certifications (e.g. LEED, BREEAM, Living Building Challenge, WELL)
- Client management experience
- Experience in running workshops and roundtables with external stakeholders
- Asset management experience
- Degree in relevant sustainability or built environment-related subject
- Engineering, property, construction, or sustainability-related professional qualifications, such as from ICE, RICS, IEMA
- Qualified assessor or accredited professional in an existing certification system (e.g. BREEAM, LEED)
- Knowledge of energy and carbon modelling tools, including whole-life carbon assessments (LCAs) of buildings
- Understanding of the charities Advancing Net Zero programme and Net Zero Carbon Buildings Framework definition, and other relevant industry resources on net zero carbon buildings
- Experience with corporate environmental targets and reporting (e.g. GRESB, CDP)
- Experience with Salesforce or a similar CRM system