16 Jan Sustainability Director
Our client is a market leader in the built environment and sustainable design industry and looking for a Director of Sustainability to lead their new internal sustainability team.
This individual should be an expert on sustainability strategies and trends relative to the built environment, strong leadership, project management, design, presentation, and team development skills who is committed to producing sustainability solutions that are tailored, relevant, and practical for the corporate objectives of today’s clients.
This individual will report directly to the CEO and be responsible for building the firm’s sustainability practice and strategies with Project Managers, collaborate with in house studios and internal research team to foster education in sustainability providing leadership, management, and mentorship to staff.
They will maintain existing client relationships and establish new business. The internal goal of this position is to educate our leaders and facilitate the integration of sustainable design into our everyday processes and corporate behaviours.
The role will be primarily based in the NYC office with room for flexible working pattern.
This requires design-team communication and integration, development of project sustainable design goals, energy performance metrics, and tracking overall integration of sustainable design goals through successful project completion.
They will support the leadership in 3rd party certification such as LEED, BREEAM, WELL, SITES, Living Building Challenge, and others by providing guidance, oversight, education, and QA/QC of the submission process where required.
The Director has knowledge and experience in carbon mitigation and sequestration, additionally, they will be responsible for LEED assessments, tracking ongoing progress, and conducting educational training and presentations both internally and externally.
Other responsibilities include:
- Serve as a subject matter expert on sustainable design and environmental efforts by partnering with design teams to develop sustainability strategies within projects by providing leadership, guidance, and support to meet built environment goals.
- Provide sustainability support, instruction, and consultation to ensure that corporate sustainable design programs, initiatives and related activities are executed successfully within studios.
- identify industry trends, best practices, sustainability risks and opportunities as it relates to relevant market sectors.
- Serve as the company sustainability ambassador through participation in industry events and professional organisations, as well as authorship of thought leadership.
- Establish and enhance our firm’s brand position related to sustainability and our internal sustainability program goals
- Develop and distribute reports that outline historical design strategies and market sector energy reduction statistics to measure progress against Industry standards for energy reduction
- Engage employees in sustainable design initiatives by creating design resources, training, and internal workplace initiatives
- Establish and manage a process to track and monitor project design and energy reduction methods to determine if goals are met against industry energy reduction standards
- Minimum experience of 10 years in the architecture, interior design, engineering, or sustainability consulting industries
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in engineering, architecture, interior design, or applicable sustainability field
- Working knowledge of Industry-standard building performance certification programs such as BREEAM, LEED, WELL, and similar programs
- Knowledge of Industry standards and requirements related to energy reduction strategies of the built environment
- Excellent communication skills, including verbal, written, and presentation skills
- Strong problem solving and analysis skills
- Strong teamwork, consensus building and interpersonal skills
- Understanding of firm business practices and processes
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks and assess priorities effectively
- Ability to work closely with multiple project roles and teams