13 Sep Head of Ecology
An excellent “Head of Ecology” opportunity has arisen to join a multi-disciplinary environmental consultancy operating across landscape architecture, arboriculture and ecology. Taking both the commercial and operational lead for the ecology team, this is a wonderful chance to own the ecology offering with realistic future prospects for directorship and share options.
We’re looking for an experienced Ecologist who is equally adept at strategic thinking and high-level reporting as they are operationally – forecasting work, administration, monitoring utilisation, delegation and adding up goal sheets. You’ll be great at organising a team and ensuring there’s ample work.
The successful incumbent will take on a team consisting of three field ecologists, a number of consultant grade Ecologists and a Senior Consultant.
The office is beautifully located and you will join a lovely team. The successful applicant will have a huge say in terms of how the company progresses, owning ecology and shaping the teams future direction.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Leading & managing projects;
- Develop and maintain both new and existing clients;
- Lead, manage and grow the existing ecology team;
- Monitor P&L and ensure profitability;
- Preparation and negotiation of fee quotes;
- Carry out extended Phase 1 habitat surveys;
- Assist or carry out protected species surveys, BAP species or other as required;
- Preparing and assisting with EcIA’s and Environment Statements;
- Working across multi-disciplinary teams including Landscape Planning and Arboriculture to deliver proposals, surveys, reports and plans;
- Lead and motivate the team to manage and produce ecological work and planning, allocating and resourcing all the departmental workload;
- Prepare budgets and forecasts;
- Prepare weekly sales and work in progress figures;
Applicants should hold a relevant degree (BSc or equivalent) in ecology or similar discipline, full membership of CIEEM, at least 2-3 protected species licence and significant experience in Ecology Consultancy. You should be familiar with UK Wildlife Legislation and/or Planning Policy and have extensive survey experience. This is a challenging but rewarding role so we are looking for someone how relished a challenge and hard work. A full driving license is essential.